Here are some interesting facts about the Sydney Harbour Bridge for both Adults and Kids alike.
- The Length of each arch span is 503 metres
- The Height to the top of the aircraft beacon is 141 metres above mean sea level
- Width of the Sydney Harbour Bridge’s deck is 49 metres
- Clearance for shipping and vessels is 49 metres
- Height of the Bridges pylons are 89 metres above mean sea level
- The bridges base of each abutment tower is 68 metres across and 48 metres long
- Each of the four bearing pins measures 4.2 metres long and 368 millimetres in diameter
- The Thrust on bearings Under maximum load is approximately 20,000 tonnes on each bearing
- The total Number of rivets is Approximately 6,000,000
- The Largest rivet Weighed 3.5 kilograms and was 395 millimetres long
- The longest hanger is 58.8 metres and the Shortest hanger is 7.3 metres
- Total weight of steelwork on the bridge is 52,800 tonnes including arch and mild steel approach spans
- Weight of the arch is 39,000 tonnes
- The amount of rock excavated for foundations is 122,000 cubic metres
- A massive amount of concrete was used for bridge – 95,000 cubic metres
- The Granite facing used on pylons and piers is 17,000 cubic metres
- The Allowance for deck expansion 420 millimetres
- The Allowance for arch expansion – The arch may rise or fall 18 centimetres due to heating or cooling
- Number of panels in arch 28, each 18.28 metres wide
- Record tonnage erected 589 tonnes of steelwork was erected on the arch in one day on 26 November 1929
- Paint required – 272,000 litres of paint were required to give the Bridge its initial three coats
Facts about the sydney harbour bridge – How old is the Sydney Harbour Bridge?
The Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened in 1932 which would make it 79 years old in the year 2011.
facts about the sydney harbour bridge – What type of bridge is the Sydney Harbour Bridge?
The Sydney Harbour bridge is a is a steel through arch single span bridge.
facts about the sydney harbour bridge – who long is the sydney harbour bridge
The Total length of the sydney bridge is 1149 metres including approach spans
Well there you have it. Some very interesting Facts about the Sydney Harbour Bridge.